Welcome to our Theatre
Another star must be mentioned: The new Commonweal performance space. The trap doors, various stage entry points, and other technical facilities of the new building are put to often dramatic use.” –Post Bulletin
The beautiful Commonweal Theatre facility opened in July 2007. Located on Lanesboro’s historic main street, the theatre offers patrons a comfortable, intimate experience in a 200-seat house. The exterior façade recreates three charming Lanesboro shop fronts and the interior design, created by Lanesboro artist Karl Unnasch, focuses on the natural beauty and history of the region with barn doors acting as bathroom stalls, stone walls mirroring the surrounding bluffs, concrete floors reflecting the building’s prior life as a cheese factory, and seats reclaimed from the original Guthrie Theater.
The facility offers:
- A state-of-the-art theatre with no seat more than 35 feet from the stage
- Expanded lobby with a concessions area, accessible restrooms and a place to hang coats
- Easily accessible box office
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance throughout the building
- Fully outfitted classroom/rehearsal space
- Modern heating and cooling and an allergen-free building
When we began to consider the look and feel of the public spaces in our home, we knew ordinary would not suffice. Enter Lanesboro native, Karl Unnasch. It just seemed right to entrust this blank canvas to an artist – one with sensibilities similar to the artists of the Commonweal. To our delight, Karl created the Commonweal Stash, an installation that encompasses the foyer, lobby and rest rooms. (You have to see it to believe it!)
- Visit Karl’s website – get the artist’s perspective on the work and take a virtual tour of the space.
- Download a pdf of the self-guided tour for your next trip to the Commonweal.
Access to the Commonweal
We strive to make your visit as welcoming as possible. Please inquire at the box office about our assisted listening devices and special seating for those with mobility impairments. We also offer ASL interpreted and audio described performances. Visit our Tickets page for specific performance dates.